Monday, March 28, 2016

Monday Musings

Marvelous Monday, everyone.  It sounds like it will be a beautiful day.

Well, it's nearly April and with April comes a sense of panic that somewhere, somehow, the girls and I are going to miss something or that I don't have everything on my schedule.  For musicians, the Christmas season is crazy hectic. So is Spring.  Coming up in April and May we have solo contests, Little Mermaid Jr., several concerts, Student Teacher Achievement Clinic for piano, and all I can do is hope and pray that I am organized enough to get everyone where they need to be at the right time and on the right date.  Whew.  It's a bit overwhelming at times!

Aside from the panic that comes with Spring, I have to say that as much as I love winter, I do love watching the spring perennials begin to emerge.  The crocuses have been in full bloom for a couple of weeks now and I have some tiny miniature daffodils (I don't even remember planting those?) already in bloom as well.  The tulips, lilies, and normal sized daffodils are all coming up as well.  I have some black hollyhocks, black Sweet Williams, and black Violas started inside.  I'm wanting the flower garden to have that "goth" feel to it this year.  I also have several other black (or near black) colored flowers coming in the mail in April.

This week my praying mantis ootheca also arrived!  I haven't raised mantises for a couple of years, so I am excited to do it again.  If you are new to me and to my blog, I like, no I LOVE to raise praying mantises from an ootheca (egg case).  My process begins with purchasing an ootheca, usually from ebay, but Amazon has them, too.  I put them in an insect keeper and wait for them to hatch. Upon hatching, I usually release around 100 mantids and keep a few to raise to adulthood.  I really enjoy watching them grow and molt, hunt and devour their prey.  They are fierce, yet gentle with humans and very docile.  I'm looking forward to having this experience again.  I'll be sure to document their progress in this blog.

And the birds singing.  That's another thing I LOVE about spring.  And thunderstorms.  You have no idea how much I love a good thunderstorm.  My dogs are not that fond of them, but a little snuggling usually calms them right down.  I just can't wait to fall asleep to a good storm.

And so here's my dilemma.  On these beautiful spring days, all I want to do is go outside and plant plants, listen to the birds, watch the ducks, walk in the woods, etc., etc., but instead we have a busy schedule and tons of practicing to do.  It's always okay, though.  We will get it all done, and I'll get to spend some time outside, and all will be well.  I am thankful for the experiences we get to have and for the music we get to make.  How blessed are we to be able to make music for ourselves and for others!

What does spring mean to you?  Check back tomorrow to see what your future holds on Tarot Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment