Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Witchy Wednesday

WAGALABAGALA!!!  That's fun to say!   Today I am very excited to feature my favorite artist, Andy Van Schyndle.  My daughters and I go to the College Hill Arts Festival every year.  This year I didn't see Wagalabagala in the program and I was very depressed.  As we were looking at all the booths, suddenly Angelle said "Wagalabagala!!!".  He was there, after all.  Joy!!  Also, just for fun, today the girls and I tried saying "Wagalabagala blog" three times as fast as we could.  Try it!



First, here is the Wagalabagala card.  This also happens to be one of Angelle's favorite prints.  I don't own this one yet, but I admire it each and everytime I go to the Wagalabagala tent.  The information on the back of the card:
Phone:  920-562-6677
wagalabagala@yahoo.com
website:  www.wagalabagala.com
Facebook:  wagalabagala



 Here is the piece that started it all for me.  This is the very first print I bought from Andy Van Schyndle at Wagalabagala.  Love it.













 This is the second print I ever bought.  It went right along with the first one.  In this print, she married the skeleton.  The animals are bringing gifts.  Steak, anyone?
















I love these two playing chess in a graveyard.  Andy captures the whimsical nature of creepiness perfectly.  I really want to go join them in their game and just step inside the painting for awhile.  I'd probably like it even better if I knew how to play chess.  I do like walking through graveyards!  Especially at night!










And finally, here is the one I duplicated this year.  I believe it is called "Diabolical Windmill". I really like the Halloween theme of this one.  And you might notice, our skeleton/human couple is riding in the carriage.  As I was choosing it, I asked the girls a couple times and wondered to myself if I had already purchased this print.  As it turned out, I had.  We left town the next day so I didn't get to go back to the festival or I am sure Andy would have let me exchange it.  KD is thrilled with my mistake as she now owns her very own Wagalabagala print!  I will get another one next year, or why wait?  I can always order it from his website!

These are all photos of prints I currently own.  The photos don't do them justice.  There are many, many, more wonderfully creepy prints on the website and Facebook page.  Go check him out!!!

If you know me at all, you know I love all things Halloween. Halloween is a lifestyle, not a holiday. Have you seen my yard in October? I have a somewhat warped and twisted appreciation for the dark and creepy.  And of course, I have been rumored to be a witch.  Walking into the Wagalabagala tent at the festival is like walking into Halloween.  I always purchase a new print when I'm there, but I did learn this year that I'm going to have to write down which prints I already own before I go so I avoid duplicating (something which unfortunately happened this year, but as I said, KD is happy with my mistake because she now owns her own Wagalabagala print!).  At least I know that if I want something twice, I must really love it!

When I was purchasing my newest (duplicate) print, I mentioned to Andy that I someday wanted to own a coffee-house called "Witch's Brew", and decorate it with his artwork.  He seemed very interested in that idea and wondered out loud about the location of such a place.  Here in Cedar Falls, the college town?  How would it go over in his hometown?  I think I told him not to steal my idea, but if he can make it a reality, I take that back and say "go for it".  I don't know where or when I am able to make it a reality, but it is a wonderful dream.  As a reminder, here is the artwork KD developed on an ipad for the coffee-house sign:

I actually kind of like that it was done on a cracked ipad.  It looks like spider webs in the corner!!








I LOVE WAGALABAGALA ART!!!  Did you figure that out yet?  I couldn't wait to blog about it, and feel I should have blogged even more.  Maybe I'll feature him a second time in the future.  In the meantime, please go check out his facebook page and website.  It's fabulous stuff!!  Check back on Freaky Friday to see what adventures we've had this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment