Monday, July 25, 2016

Monday Musings (featuring thoughts about the Bill RIley Talent Search)


Mondays take on a different meaning for this music teacher in the summer months.  Of course, I have kept busy this summer with Camp Musicmania and directing the music for "Singin' in the Rain" not to mention taking a couple of online classes, but I admit I am not up at the crack of dawn, tired and struggling to get back into the swing of the work week.

So, here it is, Monday, and I hope yours is going well so far.

Over the years, my daughters and I have been very involved with the Bill Riley Talent Search that goes on here in Iowa.  Last year, my youngest, KD, decided she wasn't really enjoying them anymore, so she bowed out before last year's State Fair and focused her attention on our community theatre scene, her music lessons and computer coding.  My older daughter, Angelle, decided to do a duet with her very talented alto friend, Sylvia, this summer.  They qualified with a 2nd place win at their 2nd show of the summer and I'm pleased to say they will be performing at the Iowa State Fair.  It's a fabulous act.  We haven't done as many shows as we usually do, just four this summer, but I think the girls have really enjoyed singing together.

Yesterday they performed at a show in Mason City.  It was outdoors and in the sun, so I was so happy to have my parasol from "Calaveras Coffin Co." with me.  I used it and Angelle and Sylvia used it.  It really helped to keep the very hot sun off.

So far it's turned out to be a very useful purchase.

I also ran into a few people from earlier years from my life at this fair in Mason City.  I ran into Carmen, an old friend from the days before I had the girls.  Her 8 year old daughter has been performing in Bill Riley shows this summer.  She was adorable and did a fabulous job.

Then when I went to the car to get my parasol, I heard someone say my name and turned around to see my old college roommate, Patty, who I don't think I've really seen since college. We are facebook friends, so keep up with each other, but wow, to run into her in person was awesome!

I love shows like this, where it isn't the competition that is the most important, but the people you meet and see and the adventures you have that make the day.  I also had a nice talk with the sound engineer whose parents had been married by Bill Riley Sr's dad.  He told me a very touching story about a photo of Bill Riley Sr. he had run across in his mom's possessions when she passed away.  He blew up the photo and gave it to Bill Riley Jr. at a show.  I guess it was quite the wonderful, emotional moment for Bill Riley Jr.

Angelle is going to be a senior this year.  I'm sure she will still perform for the Bill Riley shows again, hopefully until she's too old to do them anymore, but I know that my own Bill Riley days are nearing an end as she gets older and KD doesn't have interest in them anymore.  I will enjoy the years I have left with them to the fullest and do my best to stay focused on what's important, and my friends, that is NOT the competition.  I want to say I am thankful for the people I've met over the years (10 years of Bill Riley competitions now) and the great experiences I've had.  I've been able to see more of this beautiful state I live in and experience some great county fairs and events.  I don't think many other experiences come close to what this has been for us.  Thank you, Bill Riley, for continuing this great tradition started by your father.

Last Tuesday, my sister and her husband came up and we took a little road trip so they could make some of their "Iowa Treasures" videos.  We went to the "Field of Dreams" movie site and then on to Dubuque.  In Dubuque we went on the "Fenelon Place Elevator".  It is a cable car that takes you down a very steep bluff where there are the most adorable shops at the bottom.  Right away, the girls and I saw a sign for psychic readings.  For $10 you could get your palms read, so we tried to do it, but the psychic never answered her door.  So, after that, we found a great shop called the "I Am Center".  I could tell it was something we would be interested in from the sign.  We went in and enjoyed looking at the crystals and other magickal and new age items.  The owner was super nice and gave us a tour of the place.  It was absolutely huge and gorgeous!  They have a studio for tai chi and yoga, a room for foot detox, a room for reiki and massage, a room for reflexology treatments, and a room with two mind machines.  We are very intrigued by the mind machines.  They apparently sync with your brain waves and you wear headphones and goggles for a sensory experience to enhance whatever it is you're trying to enhance.  We looked at the "menu" and there were things like "music creativity", "reduce stress", "effective test taking", etc.  The hardest part would probably be choosing which experience to have.  We were so impressed by the "Cable Car Square District" in Dubuque, Iowa, that we are planning on taking a weekend trip there sometime.  Of course, we hope to get our palms read, but we also want to take advantage of some of the treatments at the "I Am Center" and I am dying to try the mind machine.  Angelle purchased a lovely tiger eye bracelet there, KD got a couple of cool crystals, and I got a tiny goldstone skull.  It's a great shop so if you're ever in Dubuque, I recommend you check it out and the other cool shops around there.  And be sure to ride the elevator. It's only $3 round trip.

Summer is for adventures and I've had many. We still have a month left of summer.  I prefer the glass half full perspective and refuse to say we ONLY have a month left.  So much can happen in a month, and I'm expecting many more adventures.  I hope you have an adventure or two this week.  Feel free to share them in the comments below.

2 comments:

  1. Calmer week ahead no that SiTR has closed. Going to see Placebo, a stage reading and Vincent, a one man graduation recital. Exciited about the Riley experience. The kids entered for the experience no matter the outcome. They age out and have never tried it before. Also, Shelby received a ver special custom order from her boss! She has been commissioned to create a figure (6" tall) for a wedding gift. A beautiful wedding cake with penguins as bride & groom. Excited to watch this unfold! *random comment ~ I need a parisol! Enjoy your week lovely ladies and see you soon! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, thanks for your comment and support, DuRaae. I'm blessed to have such wonderful friends!

    ReplyDelete