Monday, May 11, 2020

Monday Musings - Twin Flames

Happy Monday.  Today's topic for my musings?  Twin Flames. 

You may be familiar with the concept of soul mates. You may be familiar with the idea of your "one true love".  You may be familiar with the concept of twin flames, or maybe not.  In my experience, I haven't heard as much about twin flames as I have soul mates.  And they are not the same thing. 

I've recently been hearing the term a lot so I thought I'd explore what twin flames really are and where the idea comes from.  Here's a fun fact.  You can even ask Alexa what twin flames are and she will give you a short answer.  I've done a little researching and reading today and will tell you what I've learned. 

Many people assume that a twin flame is the same thing as a romantic soul-mate.  Some people may use the terms interchangeably.  They are not the same.  They can be romantic relationships, but they can also be completely platonic in nature.  A twin flame relationship is intense either way and can be life changing. 

I remember a long time ago reading about the idea that perhaps our souls split apart at some point before we incarnate on this plane of existence. The term in this story I remember hearing was "split apart".  Basically, according to this story, we search for and find our "split apart", or the other half of our soul. I believe this idea comes from Plato originally.  I am ordained and can perform weddings.  I once performed a same gender wedding and was looking for appropriate stories for that wedding.  I ran across a story about how we originally were "two sided".  Some of us were male/female, some were female/female, and others were male/male.  We were essentially two souls making up a whole.  We were then split apart like in the split apart story, but in this case, the female/female half would be looking for her other female half and so on.  I don't think I actually used that story in that wedding, but I found it interesting. 

A twin flame is not your soul mate.  Your twin flame doesn't have to be someone you fall in love with.  Sometimes it is.  A twin flame connection is a high-level soul-based connection that is about spiritual growth.  Once you meet this person, your life completely changes and you begin to see the world differently.  This relationship will push you to shift your consciousness and become a better person in this existence on this plane. 

Twin Flames are our mirrors.  They often reflect back to us all of our hidden fears and shadows, but also reflect our inner beauty and strength.  According to loner wolf, there are 11 signs that you are in a twin flame relationship.  These are:  1. the sensation that time doesn't exist between you 2. a strange sense of "recognition" or deja-vu between you as though you're both "destined" to be together 3. intense magnetic attraction to each other 4. your strengths and weaknesses perfectly balance each other 5. you share the same values, desires, and dreams 6. your twin knows you better than anyone else in the world 7. no matter how many times you fight, you always forgive each other completely 8. you have a multi-faceted connection together, i.e. you are best friends, teachers, and lovers to each other (my own note, you do not have to be lovers) 9. uncanny synchronicities exist between you 10. you're both driven towards a higher/social purpose 11. you learn the values of empathy, compassion, forgiveness, and unconditional love together. 

I've also heard that we can belong to a certain soul group or spirit family.  I've heard this in different variations over the years.  This is something I definitely believe.  I feel that many times in my life I have found members of my own soul family.  I've also called this my "magick family" from time to time as members of my soul family tend to have a strong interest in magick as well.  We find these family members in our existence on this plane, re-connect, learn from and grow with each other.  Your twin flame would obviously be a member of your soul group. 

Now I'm going to apply a bit of this concept to my own life.  Something you should know about me is I am not a "love and light" kind of person.  In fact, things get too "new agey" and I tend to get nauseous.  That might be an exaggeration.  I have wonderful friends who are quite "love and light", and they don't make me nauseous. Not in the least. But, seriously, it's just not me.  That being said, here's my experience in a nutshell.  I was married for 28 years.  That's a long time. In the beginning I was madly in love with that person and considered him to be my soul mate.  Things changed, we both grew in different ways.  I did not ever feel like he was the kind of person who wanted to make me better.  He was constantly pointing out my faults, but not in the supportive "hey, let's grow and enhance each other spiritually" kind of way.  So, anyway, he was not my twin flame, and he was not my soul mate.  Long story short, we got divorced.  I dated a couple people after that.  I may have thought I was in love with one of them as well.  But, same thing.  They were not my twin flames and they were not my soul mates.  What I've really learned is that I'm much happier without a partner.  And here is where the members of my own soul group will say "Okay, Leo", but I really do enjoy my own company.  Oh, but remember, twin flames don't have to be romantic partners.  I mentioned I definitely have a soul group, which I prefer to call my magickal family.  Those are the people I learn from and who help me to figure things out in a very spiritual way.  I would say that yes, I have found my magickal family, but not one particular individual twin flame.  And that's okay. 

This brings me to all those people who spend their lives without a partner and are perfectly happy with that.  In fact, they prefer it that way.  It doesn't mean they didn't ever have a twin flame as twin flames do not have to be a romantic life partner.  Maybe their twin flame was a teacher or a good friend at some point in their life.  And maybe they continued that relationship throughout their life even though it was not a romantic life partner type of relationship.  Does everybody have a twin flame in this existence?  I don't know.  I'm going to guess probably not.  This doesn't mean they won't have more chances in coming existences and lives to connect with that twin flame and evolve and grow. 

I wish that I wasn't raised with that idea of conventional and traditional marriage.  It made me feel I needed to find that one special person, get married, hopefully for the rest of our lives, and that was that.  Things have changed a lot.  I have friends who are in committed "triad" relationships.  They are very happy together and wouldn't change a thing. 

To sum all of this up, your twin flame could be anyone in your life who you feel like you know on a spiritual level.  This person will help you to grow and evolve and raise your consciousness.  Your twin flame does not have to be your life partner, but they could be.  They can be a friend, teacher, student, or lover.  They will make you feel like you've found the lost part of yourself and that together, on a spiritual level, you are one.  I believe you could have more than one twin flame and that these multiple twin flames might be a part of your soul family.  It's a really cool concept and I'm much more comfortable talking about these types of relationships than I am about romantic relationships.  I suppose I'm a bit jaded when it comes to romance at this point. 

What do you think?  I'd love to hear your thoughts about twin flames.  Do you have a twin flame?  Do you have a soul family?  Oh, and something else I just thought of.  Can we have more than one soul family?  Can members of our soul family not be connected to each other?  I'll have to give that some thought.  Have a marvelous remainder of your Monday and check back tomorrow for Tarot Tuesday. 


2 comments:

  1. That's crazy! I don't buy one cent of it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not one cent you say? Perhaps a ha'penny's worth, then?

      Delete