Monday, August 14, 2017

Monday Musings

Wow!!  What a weekend!!  We set out early Saturday morning to go to the great Iowa State Fair.  Angelle performed for the Bill Riley Talent Search and I'm happy to say she advanced to the semi-final round.  She will perform again on Thursday, so wish her luck.

While we were enjoying all the wonderful things the state fair has to offer, unspeakable things were happening elsewhere in the country.  Hateful things.  I supposed I was lucky to be unplugged for a day.  I have since caught up.  I condemn white supremacy, I condemn acts of hate, I condemn violence.  I am saddened that we seem to be on the brink of a civil war.  I really don't have much else to say about it.  Just know that I detest the current climate of racism and hate in our country.  I'll be banishing negativity and praying for change.

Last week my Amorphophallus Konjac was delivered.  The other name for this plant is "Voodoo Lily" although that name is also given to other similar plants.  I have, however, named her Marie Laveau, after the famous voodoo queen.  I thought I was just going to receive a tuber, but I received a lovely, very healthy plant.  Since she won't survive an Iowa winter, she is currently in a pot outdoors and will come inside once it gets cold.  If you're not sure what this is, she is related to the "Corpse Flower" which recently bloomed in Des Moines.  Yes, she will be stinky and draw flies.  My plan for next spring is to make a grave shaped plot for her with a headstone that says "Here Lies Marie Laveau".  I also ordered a "Dracularis", aka voodoo lily or dracula plant.  It's another one of the stinky variety. That one will also be in a grave shaped flower bed with a headstone that says "Here Lies County Dracula".  With our new dog, Misty, they will have to be fenced in, so I'm thinking it will look like a little cemetery.  So fun!!

KD and I recently auditioned for "Wrinkle in Time" at the Black Hawk Children's Theatre.  I am happy to say that we were both cast.  I am going to play the part of Mrs. Whatsit, and KD is going to play the part of Mrs. Which.  We are both witches of a sort in this play, but are really inter-dimensional beings.  KD is basically my boss.  She is going to love that!

Angelle will sing again at the State Fair on Thursday.  Then on Friday she is moving into her dorm at college.  If she advances to the final round at the State Fair, she will have to come back on Sunday to perform.  I figure I will probably bring her back with me on Saturday so she's here and ready to go. Please send positive vibes her way for a great performance on Thursday.  And if you're at the state fair that day, stop by between 1:00 and 1:30.  She should be performing anytime in there.

In the wake of all the hate, violence and negativity that is going on in our country at this moment, please do what you can to help turn the energy around.  Perform a random act of kindness.  Hold the door for someone.  Pay for the person in line behind you at Starbucks.  Adopt a dog or a cat.  Donate to the Humane Society.  Do whatever you can, my friends, and never lose the faith.  Together we can make America "kind" again.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations to Angelle! ๐Ÿ’• I'm so excited to see your plant cemetery. ⚰️ My gut said audtion for Wrinkle & I did not. Looking forward to seeing you fabulous ladies in this show. (I am 'tupid' & bummed.) Excited for (Silent) Dumb Supper this year. ๐Ÿ”ฎ ... and as for the state of our country... I am so taken back by the reversal that is occurring. I will share a story with you that goes back to 1982/1983 that relates to our current news. I am with you. The hatred and violence has to stop. For the sake of our children, we need to capture joyful moments in order to try to balance what social media and the world bombard us with. We are blessed to have you in our lives. So grateful that you walk the path with us. ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ‚๐Ÿ๐ŸŽƒ๐Ÿฆ‡๐Ÿฒ๐Ÿ•ธ️๐Ÿฅ€

    ReplyDelete