Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Witchy Wednesday - Goth Gardening

Happy Witchy Wednesday, Witches.

I was up fairly early this morning for zoom meetings, so when those meetings were done, I was able to do a little gardening.  They say that soil contains anti-depressants and I believe this.  It's so good for the soul to get your hands dirty and do a little gardening and planting.  I have a fondness for black flowers and was able to buy the last pot of black petunias at the garden center today.  So today I thought I would blog about goth gardening.

First, let's look at some beautifully black and dark flowers.

Black velvet petunias.  I try to get these every year as a nice annual accent in a pot sitting in the midst of my perennial garden.










There are several varieties of black irises.  I have one that is called "Before the Storm".  It is by far my blackest perennial and I absolutely love it. 











Queen of the Night Tulips are absolutely beautiful, but for some reason mine have not bloomed well since their first year.  Right now I can see the tulips have come up, but there is no sign of a bloom coming.  Maybe it's still a bit early?  I hope they will bloom this year.









Black Hellebore is one I've planted in the past, but have yet to see it come up and bloom.  Maybe this year?  It looks beautiful.










I'm also fortunate that I've kept some of my front yard kind of wild.  As such, I have some nightshades that grow naturally, both Woody Nightshade and Deadly Nightshade.  Poison plants are perfect for goth gardens as well. 

Now let's look at some accessories for a goth garden.

Nice skull planters.  Love these.










How about a nice coffin planter? 














Gargoyle statues are always perfect for a goth garden.













As are dragons.













And don't forget to add some goth garden furniture.  Black is always a good choice.
















Goth doesn't always have to be black. One of the easiest ways to accessorize a goth garden is with gothic style doors and trellises.  If you don't want to spend much money, take a trip to a local thrift store (wear a mask in public, please) and see what you can find there for you garden.  I've found cool cherub statues and different things that look great in a goth garden. 





Are you inspired to create your goth garden now?  Get out there and dig around in the dirt.  If you have pictures of your garden, whether it's goth or not, I'd love to see them.  Feel free to post on the Cedar Valley Witch Society page on facebook, or as a comment on this blog post.  Check back Friday for my Freaky Friday post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment