Monday, July 27, 2015

Monday Musings

After a weekend like I've had, Monday seems like a nice holiday!  I took Angelle on the road to do 3 Bill Riley talent shows in a row.  One in Des Moines on Friday night, one in Webster City on Saturday and one in Monticello yesterday.  These three shows resulted in one 2nd place win for her and a lot of great judges comments.  I'm so proud of that girl for doing the song that she wanted to do.  I know that she is really enjoying performing it and she always gets some fantastic audience compliments at every show she does.  I have to say that three shows in as many days is a bit exhausting!  It's nice to have a day off.

Going back further in the week, Wednesday saw the Ragbrai riders coming through our town.  Our friend, Kristin, invited us to her house as the bicyclists rode right by her house and she was giving  free tours of her exceptionally beautiful garden to any bicyclist who stopped.  While we were there, we recognized KD's viola teacher on her bike and called her name.  She pulled in and stopped to chat and to get a nice photo with the girls.

Kristin's gardens are truly spectacular.  While standing on her front porch, I took a good, long look at this tree.  It stands right in the middle of her beautiful garden, so I had to get a picture.  I love the color of the sky and the greenery setting up a nice frame for it.  I have no visual artistic talent, but really would love to see someone recreate this photo in a painting.  
While we were there, Kristin's husband, Scot, caught a very nice young fox snake and let the girls hold it.  They were both very brave and very willing to hold it.  It obviously realized they were no threat, and it was fairly comfortable with being handled.  After the girls were done with it, it was safely and gently returned to its wild habitat.
RAGBRAI kept us so busy that day, that I didn't get around to doing a "Witchy Wednesday" post.  And on Friday, I didn't even get a "Freaky Friday" post done because I was taking the girls to Des Moines for the Bill Riley show there.  How did summer break get to be so busy?

Even though I didn't get my blogging done this past week, I did try my hand at writing a short story and submitting it to a magazine for publication.  I had a little editing help and got some suggestions from two wonderful writing professors at UNI.   They say it can be a few months before I will hear anything, but I will wait to hear before I share that story here on my blog.
 I am continuing to feed the two crows who I call "Lenore" and "Nevermore".  They visit the front yard daily, and sometimes I think they call for me to come feed them.  I feel like they are getting a bit more brave and comfortable around me.  I was sent a link to a "TED" talk about crows and conditioning this week.  It was very interesting and makes me wonder just how smart these crows really are.











I will leave you today with a close up of Kristin's beautiful lilies.  Have a marvelous Monday and check back as I draw a tarot card tomorrow and interpret its meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment