Monday, June 22, 2015

Monday Musings

What a week last week was!!  Camp Musicmania, with a fabulous performance, the College Hill Arts Festival, a small town festival in Lynnville and Bill Riley talent contest, Young Frankenstein, crows, ducks, squirrels and chipmunks!!  Oh my!!

First, Camp Musicmania.  I can't say enough about this camp or about Michelle Swanson and Cindi Mason, who organize it.  This was my fourth year of teaching singing to the older (grades 4-9) students in the camp, and each year I do it, I love it more.  It is wonderful that several of my own school students are able to attend thanks to the generosity of many who provide them with transportation, lunches, and scholarships.  The campers were wonderful.  Alex, my teaching assistant, was amazing!!  I was and am so proud of so many.  I can't wait to do it again next summer!

Angelle was an intern for Camp Musicmania.  She said that Camp Musicmania provided her with some clarity as she begins considering her future goals.  She loves music and she loves children.  We will see where that leads her.  She emerged from her week with Camp Musicmania a more confident and mature young woman.  I'm very proud of her.

And then KD!!  KD was in a group of campers with a boy with Downs Syndrome, and another (a student of mine) who is autistic.  They had been instructed that when partnering up, they could never say "no", and had to be accepting of whoever asked to partner with them.  I was told that KD was an excellent example of being accepting of all and that her acceptance spread to the others in her group.  She was described as being an "angel",  and I couldn't be prouder.  I love that my girls are musical, that they enjoy performing, that they work hard, but the thing that makes me the proudest is hearing that they are thoughtful and have big and caring hearts.  Well done, girls.

The College Hill Arts Festival on Friday evening after the final camp performance was a nice way to relax.  I found my favorite artist there, Andy Van Schyndle with "Wagalabagala", and will feature him on "Witchy Wednesday" on Wednesday.  So, more about him then.  I bought my annual work of pottery, a lovely green and black tea cup.  Angelle and KD each got a necklace, and KD bought something for both Angelle and I in the kids art tent.

On Saturday, we went to a Bill Riley talent contest in Lynnville, Iowa.  Angelle got 3rd place and her friend, Abby, got 2nd.   They both did a tremendous job.  Angelle was extremely confident and poised in her performance.  It's just going to get better as the summer goes on.  The next show is tomorrow!

Yesterday afternoon the girls and I took in our local community theatre production of "Young Frankenstein".  Our good friend, Kim, played the part of Igor.  What a wonderful, crazy, creatively funny production!!  I loved every minute.  KD didn't approve of a lot of the inappropriate scenes, but what she did approve of, she loved!

We have a group of ducks who visit our yard to eat what falls onto the ground under our bird feeder.  I love seeing them come up as the "babies" are now nearly fully grown, but still following their mama around.  I also have a pair of crows who know and now expect me to feed them.  I will put whatever leftovers we have along with unsalted peanuts in the shell at the edge of my yard and once I'm out of sight, they swoop down and get their meal.  In return, I've collected a few crow feathers.  I really do enjoy feeding the wildlife, including chipmunks and squirrels.  It's one of my favorite parts of summer!

Check back tomorrow for Tarot Tuesday as I am once again able to blog more regularly.  Have a marvelous Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment