Monday, November 9, 2015

Monday Musings

Happy Monday!  With the gorgeous weather we've been having lately, it's hard to believe it's November.

We had a fairly quiet weekend, so I don't think I have a lot to muse on today, but let's see if I can come up with something.

On Sunday, KD went ice skating for the first time with a few of her friends.  She was a little nervous as she had never done it, and she borrowed my knee pads, but she ended up loving it.  She said she thought she did a pretty good job for her first time on ice skates.  Also on Sunday, Angelle's high school choir had a joint concert with the Bel Canto choir.  I wasn't really sure what to expect as I had never heard Bel Canto before, but that was truly an amazing concert.  Bel Canto was fabulous as was the Cedar Falls High School Concert Choir.  They performed two original choral pieces, too.  It's always fun to listen to a brand new work, and in this case, two.  They were wonderful pieces and Bel Canto performed them beautifully.

I was the only one in our family who went to this concert as KD was ice skating and John was dirt bike riding.  As a result, when I got to the church where it was held, I sat alone.  It really never bothers me to be alone and sometimes I prefer it.  After the concert there was a dessert reception and I met up with Angelle.  We went through the line and stood together enjoying our desserts, hot cider and coffee.  She looked at me and said "See all the friends I have in concert choir?".  She meant, of course, that she was alone just then and didn't really have any concert choir members to hang out with.  I then asked her if she saw all the friends I was sitting with in the audience during the concert. I guess at that point we were just two loners.  It's not really true that we don't have friends, though. There were quite a few other parents in the audience whom I would call friends and I know there are concert choir members who Angelle would refer to as friends, but at that point they had either left or were with their own families or other groups.  So, for a few short minutes, it was just the two of us. And that was okay with me.  I hope it was okay with her.

This weekend is Suzuki recital weekend.  This means both girls have solos to play on their instruments and I am their accompanist.  This also means we are practicing a lot every day to be ready for this.  As they get older, their songs get more difficult for me to play on piano.  So far, I can still play them, but I do have to practice.  I always thought the time would come when the level of difficulty of their accompaniment parts would be too difficult for me.  However, considering that Angelle will be a senior next year, I might just be okay until she gets to college.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about our Sartori Festival of Trees place setting.  I am using a yule log candle holder centerpiece, and know I want to use reindeer and pinecones in the theme as well. Today it occurred to me that what I really want to create is a scene of a forest on a snowy night.  I'll have to have all my pieces ready to go by next Monday.  We will see what the girls and I come up with!

I hope today finds your week starting out well and you enjoying the beautiful weather some.  I'm actually looking forward to snow.  It will be here before we know it.  Check back tomorrow for Tarot Tuesday!


1 comment:

  1. All this creativity flowing in your home and ours, too! What wonderful things there will be to display and sell at 'Brew, Books & More' !(just a rough idea of the name) I'm excited for you to see our Christmas tree! (Hoping it turns out the way we want it! )

    I keep you all in my prayers, for joy and much success with all of the activities and wishes. <3

    ReplyDelete