Monday, February 29, 2016

Monday Musings

Monday Monday.  Here it is, another work week.  Since we had parent-teacher conferences last week, it meant that I had Friday off. It was so nice to have a day off and much needed.  I spent most of that day doing some cleaning as my in-laws came to visit on Saturday to see KD in the play, "The Boxcar Children".

Friday night I accompanied John to his company meeting/party.  I went last year, too, and it's always a good time spent with other adults.  I am with children so much of my time that I sometimes forget what hanging out with adults is like.  We had a wonderful meal and a very nice time with some very nice people.

My cousin who lives in town has a new pet bearded dragon named "Jar Jar Binks".  She was going out of town so asked the girls and me to stop by and feed "Jar Jar" on Saturday and Sunday.  I was more than thrilled to help out.  Jar Jar is an adorable little baby bearded dragon who eats his weight in crickets each day.  We have a leopard gecko named Gina, but Gina is not that exciting.  Usually I keep Gina at school, but she has been at my house since Christmas break.  I'll bring her back to school after Spring Break.  Gina is nocturnal, so just lays around all day basking under her heat lamp. At night she gets a bit more active and does a bit of running around in her terrarium.  Jar Jar, on the other hand, is a daytime creature, so was always quite active during the day and especially at feeding time.  The girls and I just love him and hope we will get to take care of him again someday.

One show closes and another begins.  KD had a great run playing the role of "Violet" in "The Boxcar Children".  This is one of my favorite roles I have seen her in so far.  It was a sweet story line, and I think the first serious drama KD has ever done.  I saw it three times and got a bit teary eyed each time.  There were just some very heart warming moments in that play.  The boxcar made by the set builder was amazing.  I was sad to see it come down.  But, endings often signal new beginnings, and Angelle begins rehearsals for "The Little Mermaid, Jr." tomorrow.  She's excited because she doesn't do much theatre anymore.  This is her first onstage theatrical role since she played Louisa in "Sound of  Music" two summers ago.  Angelle will be playing one of the mer-sisters, and asked the director if she could change her mermaid name to "Angella", because, why not?  So, Angella the mermaid begins rehearsals tomorrow night.  I'm sure it's going to be a fantastic show!

I had a wonderful, although rather hurried visit with my in-laws on Saturday.  There was so much going on that day, including feeding my cousin's lizard, getting KD to the theatre on time, ushering for the performance, as well as hosting the strike party.  We had a nice lunch at Applebee's, and thankfully, John was able to stop by and join us for part of lunch (he works on Saturdays).  KD got picked up at Applebee's to get to the theatre on time for call, Angelle went to hang out with her friend and enjoy the spring-like weather, and I got to the theatre in time to usher.  I believe Grandma and Grandpa enjoyed the show. I know that KD's godmother, Kristin, was teary eyed throughout the whole last 5 minutes of it, which I am taking as a sign that she enjoyed it, too.  The strike party was a big success and a whole lot of fun.  They always are.  I am so thankful my girls have had the opportunity to be involved with the Black Hawk Children's Theatre.  It does so much for character building and learning what true self discipline is. While preparing and rehearsing for a show is a lot of work, the pay-off is huge.  I know my girls would agree.

My weekend was a busy, but fun one.  How was yours?  Stop by tomorrow to see which tarot card gets drawn.  Have a magnificent Monday!


No comments:

Post a Comment