Monday, August 17, 2015

Monday Musings

Happy Marvelous Monday!  Here we are down to our last week of summer vacation before school starts.  It has been an awesome one, too!

On Friday I didn't get to do a "Freaky Friday" blog because we were at the Iowa State Fair.  Angelle, our oldest daughter, sang for the Bill Riley Talent Search competition.  She sang "Diva Dance" from "Fifth Element".  It's a very difficult piece, starting with the mad scene aria from "Lucia di Lammermoor", then morphing into a tech vocal acrobatic type of section.  Quite frankly, Angelle nailed it.  She performed absolutely beautifully and was even complimented personally by a judge.  Unfortunately, she did not advance to the semi-final round and the judge who personally complimented her told her it was her age that hurt her.  The singer who did advance was 19.  The personal compliment from the judge meant the world to Angelle, though, and she didn't even care that she didn't advance.  The judge basically told her that her performance was perfect in every way and to keep singing.

The rest of our day at the fair was awesome, of course.  We rode the "Crazy Mouse", our favorite roller coaster and Angelle even went on one of the super big rides, the "Skyscraper".  Much to her dismay, she was forced to sit by a cute, polite and nice teenage boy.  I jest.  She loved every minute of that!  She said it was awkward at first, but then when they were stuck at the top for what seemed like a very long time, they ended up introducing themselves to each other and had a nice conversation.  So, to the nice boy named Jake from Chicago, thanks for sharing the ride with Angelle!

Our favorite food was strawberries and brownies on a stick dipped in chocolate dip.  Mmmmm.  After that we actually were pretty healthy eaters.  We had our free hard boiled eggs on a stick (one of our fair faves) and then salad on a stick, PB & J on a stick, and wood fire oven pizza for supper.  The girls had fun at the Indian Village (one of their favorite things at the fair), and after that I dragged them over to the wine tasting barn.  They know I like to do that if I'm not going to have to drive home and since we were staying overnight, well, I just had to.  I had the 6 samples of the state fair featured wines for $5.  We also got the pizza there.  The timing was perfect as the wine barn is way on top of a hill and we were there just at sunset with a great view of the Des Moines skyline.  Just beautiful!!

It was a full and very hot day.  We got back to my in-law's camper around 9:00 p.m., exhausted, sunburned, sweaty and full of happy memories.

We had to make the drive home the next day an adventure, too.  We stopped at a flea market in Melbourne.  Met a very nice man and his dog named "Mocha Joe" and enjoyed talking with them.  Angelle found a couple of fun treasures there.  Then we had chinese for lunch in Grundy Center at an awesome chinese restaurant.  Right next door was a fun store called "Gram's Place".  It was full of fun vintage items.  Our kind of store!!  I was thrilled to find my "Silent Supper" dress there for $10.  It is black, of course, and nicely fitted.  It is a perfect fit and has a nice white draping on the neckline.  It's like it was meant to be.  KD also found her silent supper hat.  The most intriguing thing I found there was a $1.00 postcard with a date of 1910.  On the front was a couple lines of music to a song with the lyrics, "Won't you remember me?".  The beautifully handwritten part on the other side said "Why don't you write?".  Oh I know there's a story there and I'm dying to know what it is.  I suppose I never really will, but I might just have to write one.

I have a lot to do today.  The first rehearsal for "Dream Within a Dream" is tonight.  I'm so excited to see it come to life.  Have a great Monday and to many of my teacher friends, enjoy your last full week of vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment