Monday, August 31, 2015

Monday Musings

Well, the first weekend of the school year just flew by and here it is Monday already.  So much to be excited about!  I get students today and I honestly can't wait to see them.

The super moon was quite spectacular this weekend, but I wasn't able to see it in it's complete fullness on Saturday because of the cloudy sky.  It turns out that had I gone out around 10:30 p.m. I might have been able to see it.  But alas, after an exhausting first week back at school, I was already in bed by then!  So last night I made it a point to check for the moon.  Even though it had just begun waning, it was still mostly full, bright orange, and it looked really big. I spent a few moments outside looking at it and while I was standing there, something flew by my head.  I'm pretty sure it was a bat, which I am not afraid of.  It was actually pretty cool.  Once I came inside I sat on the love seat to read and I discovered I had a perfect view of the moon through our bay window from there.  Nice!

My last Monarch caterpillar was on the roof of it's mesh cage this morning, so I suspect that by tonight or tomorrow morning it will be in it's chrysalis form.  I recently learned that only about 1-5% of the Monarch caterpillars actually get to the chrysalis stage in the wild, so I'm glad I bring every caterpillar I see inside to help them along.  We had crazy torrential rains on Friday and one of our butterflies decided that was it's day to emerge.  Lucky butterfly.  I was able to keep it inside until the weather was nicer to release it.  Not sure it would have survived such a rainy day had it emerged in the wild.

This is our last day of August.  I figure I can start decorating my yard for Halloween around the middle of September, so I'm getting pretty excited.  The anticipation!  We have new neighbors on either side of us, so they are in for quite a treat!!  Especially with the motion and sound sensitive zombie girl on a swing we hang from the maple tree in our front yard.  She was new last year and one of my favorite moments was watching one of the guys in the garbage truck videotaping it with his phone on garbage day.  The garbage truck is certainly loud enough to set her off to swinging, turning her head and humming her eerie tune.

The girls begin their Suzuki lessons this week.  It will be nice for them to get into their lesson routine again.  KD has a new viola teacher this year after having had the same one since she was 4.  We really miss her previous teacher, but I also know KD is going to click very well with her new one. New beginnings can be fun and exciting.

I hope everyone is having a marvelous Monday!  Check back tomorrow for Tarot Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment