Monday, October 19, 2015

Monday Musings - Tales from the Gypsy Wagon

Happy Monday.  Weekends go by way too quickly, don't they?  I really feel like I hardly had a weekend at all.  I did get to spend two evenings in the Gypsy Wagon, though, which I really enjoy.

Friday night, the girls and I first went to the "Zombies in the City" event at Adrenaline Laser Tag.  I had won two free entries for this event on Facebook, so only had to pay for one more. Angelle brought her two friends along as well, which made us a group of 5. It really was a blast.  It was kind of a cross between a video game, haunted house, and laser tag.  The zombie actors were great.  They were actually pretty scary.  KD and I shot a lot of zombies, but didn't find any "intel", which is kind of the point of the game.  That's okay, though, because the rest of our team found quite a bit and even ended up opening one of the super secret boxes with the secret message.  The message, of course, was "You are doomed.  There is no cure".  Rats.

Afterwards, KD and I headed over to the Gypsy Wagon.  Angelle and her friends came later on, too, but not to tell fortunes.  They came to go through the haunted house there and also the corn maze.  I think they had fun.  KD and I were that solid kind of busy from about 9:00 until after Midnight, meaning we had a line the entire time.  KD estimated we probably read for at least 20 groups.  I think maybe even more.  By the end of the night, KD was too tired to read the pendulum anymore, so I just gave card readings to the last few groups.  It was a very fun and interesting night.

With the line, and with Angelle and her friends using the gypsy wagon and me as their "headquarters", there were a couple of times when they needed to get in which meant excusing themselves at the front of the line and just coming on in.  They would try to explain to people that they were not cutting in line to get a reading, but just needed to drop something off with me or pick something up.  At one point, there was a group of people who had among them a couple of teachers. I will do my best to protect the identity of said teachers, but as the girls were excusing themselves to get into the gypsy wagon to give me something, one of those teachers said "What the f...?", actually dropping the "f" bomb, thinking the girls were cutting.  One of Angelle's friends recognized this person as a teacher and they were a little shocked to hear that come out of a teacher's mouth.  If you know me at all, you know that is one thing I absolutely do not do.  I do not ever swear.  I really don't. I certainly never will be heard dropping an "f" bomb unless I am quoting someone else.  I believe it gives other people an excuse to not listen to you.  But, that's just me.  I don't judge others if they do swear, and I certainly do hear it a lot. Especially late nights at haunted attractions.  So, I told my daughter that teachers are people, too.  I enjoyed reading for this group and it came out in the reading that two of them were teachers.  They were very nice and polite to KD and me.

Actually, I have never had a bad experience in the gypsy wagon.  I think people realize that the only payment we receive from doing this is from tips.  Folks appreciate the additional entertainment, and as such, they are very nice to me when I am reading for them.

One of Angelle's fellow high school students came in with a group of friends Friday night for a reading.  Part of this girl's reading included going on a trip or traveling somewhere and that something about the trip would give her a brief period of sadness or disappointment.  During the reading it was hard to ascertain exactly what the trip or experience would be, so we thought it might be her going to college next year and the sadness would be leaving her friends, etc.  Well, yesterday she and Angelle sang together at a retirement home and she told Angelle that she and her friends had traveled somewhere to go to a concert or performance.  When they got to the performance, (which might have been at a bar or nightclub?), they were not allowed to go in and then they were sad.  So, the reading really did come true.  I have to admit I love hearing stories come back to me in which the reading turned out to be accurate.

On Saturday night, KD ended up staying overnight at her friend's house and Angelle just didn't want to go out to the wagon, so I went alone.  I have not done that by myself yet, but all went well.  I was not as busy as KD and I had been on Friday night, probably because it was very cold that night, but I made a little more in tips than KD and I did on our busy Friday night, meaning I got some big tippers into the wagon.  It is much appreciated, especially since it did get really cold in the gypsy wagon.  I have a space heater in there, but I keep the door open when not reading, so people know to come in.

My first group on Saturday night was a group of elementary boys.  They were absolutely hilarious and cracked me up the whole time.  Turns out some of them go to KD's school, but since they are younger than she is, they didn't know her.  They noticed the voo doo doll prop on my shelf and asked who the voo doo doll was, but before I could answer, they said "You're husband?".  Ha ha ha ha. These boys were like that the entire time they were in there.  I laughed a lot.  One boy learned he was going to get a new girlfriend, which surprisingly made him really happy.  He is younger than 6th grade, after all, but apparently had broken up with his old girlfriend, so was excited about the prospect of a new one.  Another boy learned he was going to be very popular with girls.  He was also quite pleased.

The rest of Saturday night went very well.  I wasn't steadily busy, but it was sporadic.  One person told me that I was better than the haunted house itself and that if he'd still had his $13.00 admission, he'd have given it to me instead.  He was very interested in the cards and asked a lot of questions. Personally, I think the "Harris Haven Funeral Home Haunted House" is a great haunted house.  I certainly get people into the wagon afterwards who definitely had fun.  Still, I appreciated the compliment from that person.  It's nice to hear that people enjoy the readings.

Because Saturday night was so sporadic, I was able to quit reading around 11:30.  I will never quit if I have a line.  I don't think it's fair to people who have been waiting to get up there and then have us close the gypsy wagon.  As long as there are people waiting, I will keep on reading.

This weekend I will only be reading one night, Saturday night.  Angelle has All-State auditions, so I want to make sure all of us are asleep early on Friday night and well rested, especially Angelle.  They get up at the crack of dawn (or earlier) the day of auditions, meet at someone's house for breakfast, then get the audition cuts before they leave.  It's a long day for her, and she probably won't want to come to the wagon afterwards on Saturday night, but I will definitely be there.  That will probably be my last night reading there this year unless I go back on Sunday night, which is always a possibility. Sunday nights are hard, though, as we are all busy getting ready for school/work on Monday.  And I won't be reading Halloween weekend because of our events.  Friday night Silent Supper and annual Halloween party on Saturday.  I believe Shelby will be reading the Tarot on Thursday night the 29th. So, stop by then if you are out and about.

I'm hoping with the nice weather this coming Saturday night will be busy in the wagon.  Stop by.  I'd love to read the cards for you!




No comments:

Post a Comment